automatically generated IP addresses are so drastically different

(I have much more to learn about Artnet and calculating IP addresses that work with artnet in general.)

When I don’t use the automatically generated IP addresses for EtherDMX the XNet doesn’t see each other, so joining shows doesn’t seem to work. But when I do they are all so drastically different from each other. My router only allows editing of the last two decimal points. So using TouchOSC isn’t an option when the IP address is so drastically different.

Feature request: to have the option to limit the net mask to two decimal places on automatically generated EtherDMX addresses, e.g., 255.255.0.0

For example, I started with an automatically generated IP address in the EN4 and set my router to that IP address range. Telling Onyx to automatically choose IP address on both PC’s allows them to see each other on X-Net and the Artnet works. But then TouchOSC won’t respond because of being out of range with the default gateway. The second decimal place doesn’t match with the gateway of the router.

The auto-generated IP address from the EN4 is: 2.205.71.101

So I set the router to: 2.205.71.1

The automatically generated IP address in one Onyx PC is: 2.156.46.12

The generated IP address in the other computer is: 2.216.164.1

So these generated IP addresses bear no relation to each other, other than 2. And they don’t seem to query the IP address of the router before auto generating IP addresses. Why don’t they ping the router to find out the router IP and then generate IP addresses based upon that?

If one were to choose an IP address manually, oneself, then how would one do it? Because I’ve tried a few times and X-Net doesn’t seem to work when I do.

The automatic 2.x.x.x address is a system from the Art-Net protocol and we have to stick to the rules they made.
Use DHCP from the router and have the router handle the addressed instead.

When I do that the EN4 artnet connection doesn’t show. I have to manually override the IP address.

Maybe it’s superstition but I think I’ve had better luck maintaining the X-net joined shows connection with the EtherDMX generated IP addresses.

what is the address / subnet on EN4 and ONYX that does not work?

what version of ONYX?

Perhaps a clarification. It works but the EN4 isn’t visible in Onyx software when I use automatic DHCP. But if I use EtherDMX then the four universes of Artnet becomes visible. They show up.

Using the latest version .38

And now updated to .39
Inhibitor and Overrides problems after updating show file. Tried reloading show file. Tried resaving the Inhibitive fader. Will report later.

@mgerardi could you assist here?

@truthcollins,

I’ll try to check our basic youth room setup for confirmation (now that we have a firmware 2.92) but I have an NX1 directly connected to an EN4 and I was almost certain it shows in the device section with the ports. Just using a basic “automatically assigned 182.168.x.y” IP for both the NX1 and ehe EN4. It is running sACN. No DHCP (as it’s direct).

In your system, example I’m wondering if your issues is with the subnet. All those Automatic IPs should work, if the subnet is wide open (255.0.0.0). I noticed you mentioned a 255.255.0.0.

With that said, I also have a larger system that we run sACN on with a dedicated VLAN for the control protocol and another VLAN for the ONYX remote and X-Net. Most of the units on this system I have set to static IPs and I track what gear has what IP as we add it. I’ll see if I can get something to show on it later in the week, as I’d like to add more NETRON to this system.

Hope this information gives you some ideas and things to try.

Watson

Yes, that’s exactly it. The issue is with the subnet and the router locking down the subnet settings to two decimal places, as I tried to explain.

After updating the firmware on the EN4 I was able to use the automatic DHCP setting and that solved the issue of the limitation of the router, that the subnet settings grey out the first two decimal places of 255.255. ._

That meant that without accommodation from the Obsidian developers to the restrictions put on routers by manufacturers, I couldn’t use the EtherDMX setting to generate IP addresses because we don’t have the option to limit the subnet mask of automatically generated EtherDMX IP addresses.

The alternative is to try installing a custom firmware on the router, such as DDWRT, which I’ve done before. That would allow me to edit the full subnet mask. It’s a relatively new Linksys router though, so I don’t know if there is custom firmware for it yet.

What you wrote about using dedicated VLANs sounds interesting. I’ve noticed that when my computer is connected to WIFI, if I happen to use that computer to check something from the internet, there can be occasional hiccups in the DMX output or there can be weird behavior between the networked Onyx instances.

That sounds like a good idea to separate those by VLAN. Would that help if you wanted to browse the internet on the same computer? I tend to use two computers at a venue due to space limitation, one to run resolume and the other to run Onyx. The one running Resolume I occasionally connect to the internet to download content, such as from an email from the DJ with their logo, etc. I also run Onyx on that computer as a backup, secondary instance. If my other computer glitches out or behaves weird then I can switch to the backup, close and relaunch the primary computer.

With the implementation of NDI, I’ve started to experiment with running Resolume on the same computer to feed NDI into Onyx, via loopaback with the microsoft virtual network driver, KM Test.

Thank you.

The router DHCP setting don’t have any effect on the Etherdmx address that is auto generated as well as the other way around, the Etherdmx address does not have an effect on the DHCP settings.

The EtherDMX option will create an IP address in the 2.x.x.x range with a subnet of 255.0.0.0 based on the devices MAC address.

What this means is any device, with a 2.x.x.x address and a subnet of 255.0.0.0 will be able to communicate on the network regardless of the routers settings.

As the Subnet is what dictates or filters what IP range a device can communicate with.

A value of 255 in a subnet octet means the corresponding octet of the 2 devices Ip addresses must match, and a value of 0 means they don’t need to match.

For example, 2 devices have the following IP addresses:

192.168.0.101 and 192.168.1.151 and both have a subnet of 255.0.0.0

Device 1: 192.168.000.101
Device 2: 192.168.001.151
Subnet: 255.000.000.000

As you can see the first Octet is 255 in the subnet, so the first octet of the Ip address must match (192), the next 3 octets in the subnet are 0 so they can be anything from 0-255 and still communicate.

DHCP operates by assigning the device an IP address.

If the router is set to 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

The DHCP server (running on the router) will assign IP addresses in this range. (192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.255)

For your setup I recommend one of the following options.

1. Use DHCP on all devices and connect them through your router (“Automatic” in Onyx), as this will set all the IP addresses for you.
  2. Use Static IP addresses. (example below)

Onyx Computer: 192.168.0.101 (Subnet 255.255.255.0)
EN4 Node: 192.168.0.51 (Subnet 255.255.255.0)
IPAD: 192.168.0.21 (Subnet 255.255.255.0) (OR DHCP from router)

Router: 192.168.0.1 (Subnet 255.255.255.0)

2 Likes

@truthcollins - I think in this situation, I would invest in a more “pro grade” router where you have better control of the subnet. But as Matthew said, you can use the DHCP of the router and automatic.

@mgerardi - Well explained. This is exactly what we do here at our facility (only on a larger scale) as we have all types of production equipment on a network. So we use different subnets and IP ranges for Audio, Video, and Lighting protocols (Dante, NDI, sACN) including the break down of “consoles” remotes (Director, Dashboard, Xnet). So in a since we have a structure where everything is on 1 “technical” network, but isolated to avoid cross platform traffic. I am able to reach any console from my PC and then I can output the protocols if needed by entering an IP in the range of the protocol needed.

1 Like

Perhaps I need to repeat one thing because the response seems to be disregarding it.

If you use EtherDMX to automatically generate the IP addresses on two separate computers, the second decimal place is often different.

Again, with the new, midrange priced, Linksys router I bought that doesn’t work out. ( It limits it to 255.255.0.0, as the 255.255 are greyed out.)

I don’t think it’s uncommon that people would buy a mid range router.

Point granted that buying a more expensive router or perhaps going with a different brand would enable editing of the full settings.

On the other hand, the developers could accommodate end users by creating an optional setting, to limit the range of automatically generated IP addresses.

Otherwise, please put out recommended router specifications. Perhaps a few models could be listed which are compatible.

Granted that it was well explained. I see that you meant well. It’s just frustrating to get canned responses which distract from the actual questions. Then you have to try to draw attention back. Have you ever called a company and had to repeat yourself multiple times while being transferred to multiple people?

Although I do already understand the explanation given, as can be seen from my earlier reply. In conversation we ask each other if the other knows something before responding but in forums people can tend to write as if its a definition entry and forget the human aspect of it.

Since the firmware update the EN4 shows up more readily but it wasn’t showing up with those settings you described. Thats where using the automatically generated EtherDMX addresses came in. For whatever reason, if you use the EtherDMX to assign the IP address then it was more likely that Onyx would see the EN4.

This rule comes from the Art-Net specification and has been in place for over 20 years without issues. We will not change it. Use DHCP and you should have no issues at all. Unsure why artnet discovery isnt working for you in that case.

I don’t understand at all why you think you have to set your router to anything at all. The devices communicate without caring about your routers subnet settings. if you have concerns with touch osc its a bit out of our control, but if you use fixed IPs or DHCP you Art-Net will work, sACN and OSC should all work without issues.

Generic routers and switches have been used with Maxxyz / M-Series/Onyx for about 20 years without issues and the need for any special or expensive equipment. it seems your specific linksys is causing problems we can not assist with. What is the model #?

There are hundreds of routers in the market, there is no way we can evaluate and recommend any. Any problem due to the router would then become our liability,

1 Like

As Matthias mentioned, the Art-Net IP address generation is as specified explicitly by the protocol. If compatibility issues do popup, and DHCP is not an option for some reason, there’s always the STATIC address option that gives you full control.

The subnet limitation is not a matter of being a mid-range router, but rather a non-compliant router: 2.x.y.z is a class A network, implying subnet mask 255.0.0.0 (same for 10.x.y.z addresses that are commonly used by companies, organizations and even some residential setups where this router would be unusable as well). A class A network offers more room for network partitioning by extending the subnet mask, but that’s definitely not up to the manufacturer to decide…

1 Like

I don’t know what you mean (router is a LINKSYS model MR6350 ) because the manufacturer did decide to make it that way. So apparently it was up to them to grey out the .x and not let the end user change it.

The DHCP method has been working since I updated the firmware to the EN4. Thank you for that suggestion. Once I realized the power cycle order, to turn on the router first and connect the ethernet. Or to go to DHCP in the EN4 menu and refresh it, then the Artnet shows up in Onyx.

Thanks again.