Editing shows offline -different version of software

I have a production machine (a newer PC with NX Wing, Windows 10, latest version beta 1183 w Dylos…) at work. But I would like to take my show files home and edit them on my other machines (which are older, and one of which I won’t be updating to latest version because I use it with Enttec USB device for 1 uni output).

What are the issues of compatibility of editing shows using different version numbers of the software? I assumed I would not be able to edit any of the Dylos aspects, cues and such, with the older non-Dylos version of the software, but would I be able to do more basic things like edit the patch, build groups, build cues that don’t involve Dylos, etc.?

Is this a safe thing to try or is it inadvisable?

Chris,

Show files are version specific and not backwards compatible. Meaning if you start a file on 4.2.1057, you can open and edit it on 4.3.1183, but after you save it, you won’t be able to take it back to 1057. Your only option is to upgrade your home machine or downgrade you work machine.

I would actually advise updating the home machine. I understand the Enttec issue, but you’d probably be better off upgrading and purchasing an NX DMX for around $300 (or less).

My reason is that I have 5 volunteers who all use the same version as the actual console and they all prepare from home. With certain windows updates and security (in the past) the only way to fix them was to upgrade to the current version. While you can try to stay at 1057 (and use enttec) as long as possible, at some point for security you may have to upgrade.

Hope this helps,

Watson

Thanks for the information. While I understand the general desirability of updating, I probably won’t do that on that specific computer. The reasons have mostly to do with cost and the machine itself. It’s an older laptop, I really don’t trust it to run more than pretty simple shows. It sometimes comes up that I get asked to do something fairly simple on the last minute. Pairing it with the Enttec in my computer bag allows me to have a very simple solution to pull out that’s always with me, and doesn’t cost any more. Even just as a general business laptop that is starting to show it’s age. You may note I was musing on the FB page the other day about building another, more portable than my main system around a newer Surface Pro or equivalent, an M-Play and NX DMX, for 3 universes of much better reliability and power. Although that would cost much more, it seems like a better idea than trying to keep an older, marginal machine current.

Actually, I have other machines at home, desktops, one of which is of suitable spec to be a candidate for updating, BUT…you might notice I have another thread open on this forum about install problems, when I tried to update that machine, it didn’t work.

But thank you, you have given me the information I need to proceed.

“With certain windows updates and security (in the past) the only way to fix them was to upgrade to the current version. While you can try to stay at 1057 (and use enttec) as long as possible, at some point for security you may have to upgrade.”

clarification requested: do you mean upgrade Windows, or upgrade Onyx, or both?

Chris,

I’m referring to both. In the past there was a windows security update (or something) that caused M-PC to quite working. The fix was issued in a new build / version that required windows to be fully updated first.

If you notice, now they are advising to make sure windows is fully up to date before installing a version.

Hope this clarifies,

Watson

Hi,

Is there really no way to save a showfile that is compatible with an older one?

For instance I had 4.2 installed on our church laptop (core i3 380M) and now I started editing on my personal computer after playing with 4.4.1186 (which has Dylos support) and now I can’t open it on the i3 laptop that has 4.2 and neither can I install the 4.4 version due to hardware requirements for Dylos.

No unfortunately it is not possible.