FX question (fan <> block)

Imagine that you have 5 horizontal stacks of fixtures (with 5 fixtures in each stack) as such:

A - B - C - D - E

1 - 6 - 11 - 16 - 21
2 - 7 - 12 - 17 - 22
3 - 8 - 13 - 18 - 23
4 - 9 - 14 - 19 - 24
5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25

To get the effect running so that each row is lit up per step is easy:
“Wave per X = 5” and “Fan <> Block of X = 5”

But if I would want to add a mirror effect (so that the rows light up A+E then B+D and finally C) I think I cant do it in the effect generator alone, and instead have to revert to using chases or cuelists.

Is there a way to get the pattern that I want using only the FX generator?

1 Like

If anyone’s interested, I found (was sent) a solution. You cant just use masks and wave timings, you have to go to second page of FX Timing tab, where you find the parameters “Delay”, “Shift” and “Wait”.

Set “Shift” and “Wait” to 0 for all fixtures.

Select row A + E and set “Delay: 0”
Select row B + D and set “Delay: 33%”
Select row C and set “Delay 66%”

Then its just adding Swing, Speed and figure to the effect and you’re done!

(Many thanks to Thomas for the solution)

Make groups as needed.
Select them in desired order.
Fan by Group
Use Wave 3, this will automatically creates 0/33/66 offsets

1 Like

Yes, but that creates offsets like: 33, 66, 99, 33, 66 (which is left -> right)

Im looking for a way to make it mirrored, which would be: 0, 33, 66, 33, 00.
Fan by group just makes it run from left to right…

change the direction of the wave. There is a small arrow on the bottom that indicates l to r or r to l

Yea, but that only makes it go Right -> Left… i want a mirrored movement (first A + E, then B + D and finally C).

I have figured out how to achieve this for “Step” effects also, but it is impossible using the grouping tools, it must also be done by setting Delay, Shift and Wait manually.

Also I found a bug in your documentation regarding these parameters. The Shift explanation is just a bit strangely described, but could possibly be seen as true. The wait parameter description however is just plain incorrect unfortunately! =\

(the wait time) … is expressed in seconds from 1 to 1000. The wait is the amount of time between the completion of an FX, and when the FX restarts.

This is not true.

The wait time is a value that represents how many fixtures the effect is running over. Since its relative to the set FX speed, it’s not the same as the time in seconds. 7 fixtures running an effect @ 360 BPM does not need 10 seconds to complete to run the effect through all fixtures - but 10 is the correct value if you have 7 fixtures and want a step effect. Instead it is an multiplier of sorts. These are the correct Wait values for different fixture counts:

3 fixtures = Wait 2
7 fixtures = Wait 10
10 fixtures = Wait 16
20 fixtures = Wait 36
30 fixtures = Wait 56

Which means that the Wait value is = FixtureCount*2 - 4. So if your effect is running at 100 bpm the Wait-value is almost the same as 0.5 seconds.

Hope this helps someone!

I have not recreated Anton’s programming, but have been experimenting with Wave, Delay, and the rest of FX timing options. I cannot find this directional arrow for the Wave function you speak of. It is at the bottom of “Wave Per X” column? There is just the indicator for the setting there, when I right click on it I have option to load or clear channel, I don’t see directional arrows.