Making m1 work as a wing

Is it possible to make the m1 work just as a wing on another computer? So i dont use the internal computer. I am thinking of removing the low resolution screen and using it as a wing if possible. Is there a how to? or is it a trial and error. As the m1 is at end of its life cycle and normally no one would buy it as is. Might also look at doing this to the compact as well. Remove the touch screen module and replace it with a panel so that i could place a surface or something similar there. thoughts?

The M1 front panel is driven by a single USB connection of the motherboard. You’d have to convert it to a regular USB plug.
Keep in mind the internal dongle is not valid for Onyx 4.4, so you are either limited to 4U or need an ONYX Key.

Will my original m-key work with 4.4? Is there an upgrade path for the usb keys? Also the maxyz modules? I know there has to be new licencing but a dollar saved is a dollar earnt. No with this down time i have had a chance to play with the new software and dylos, Very impressed as I know i would be. I am in the process of finding and organizing funds for the m6 upgrade. Would be good to all sort at the same time. Is there a wiring diagram to convert the cat 5 to a standard usb?

Think I have worked out the usbs. Just wondering if the internal dmx card would work with a laptop. Thinking of mounting a sub hub internally.

They DMX will work. The frontpanel is a hub, there isn’t really a need for one.

Hi Mattias,
I was able to get my M1 happily working as a wing with MPC but the DMX card isn’t recognised. (Artnet is fine). Any thoughts from your end on why? I thought it may be that the onekey is associated with the old (dead) motherboard that was in the M1?
Cheers!

The M1 internal key will not enable Onyx, it will be running in the free mode of Universes 1-4
The DMX card is USB, maybe the connection isn’t correct. This was never tested or intended to run in “wing” mode so we can’t assist.

Thanks for the reply. Totally understand about the key not enabling Onyx.
The card is connected correctly via USB (the key mounts on my PC when plugged into the DMX card), I just can’t get MPC to recognise the DMX card :frowning:
Thanks anyway.

Hey.
Did you ever find a solution?

Hi,
I did sort it out as a wing :slight_smile:
The Key itself was dead but the 4 universes avail over sACN is enough for me.
I gutted the board and installed a DMX King din rail sACN to DMX module and fitted a USB socket for Wing control. Interior piccy here
The board behaves perfectly connected to my AIO touchscreen PC running MPC 3.80.775
Cheers!!