Possible to use "Cue Only" retroactively?

I have been trying to test something and am wondering if it just isn’t possible or if I am missing something. I have a fixture with some values in a cue, they track through the cuelist. I don’t want to remove these values from this cue, but I would like to stop them from tracking through. Can I go back and merge the values into the cue using “Cue Only” and they will then behave as if I had originally recorded it as Cue Only? This doesn’t seem to work, using “Record Cue > Merge”. Would it work a different way?

I’m having trouble understanding this statement from the online documentation:

(Under the section “Cue Options > Cue Only Category”)

"There are occasions when you may wish to record information into only one specific cue without it tracking forward. The “Cue Only” button will allow that.

When selected, information that is recorded into that cue will not track forward to the next cue(s). It will be contained only within that cue. The one exception to this is when “Cue Only” is selected and you record a new cue directly after the cue that you recorded with cue only. In that case, the information will track forward."

If the “one exception” to it not tracking forward is when you record another cue after it DOES still track forward, doesn’t that obviate the whole point of Cue Only? Does “directly after” mean something special in this case? How can I record a cue that doesn’t track forward?

Okay, I’m noticing something else here. When I went back in a cuelist that had 9 cues, and recorded a fixture with “Cue Only” in Cue 6.5, thus putting that in the middle of the list, the specific values for that fixture in that cue did indeed not track forward. BUT, values did track forward, they were the default values for those parameters expressed as hard values (as opposed to null values). Is there a way to get those values back to null after the Cue Only cue?

I would record/merge the next cue with new values that will track, which would of course override the previous values

Also see the Mark Toggle function, it may relate to your question

The one exception to this is when “Cue Only” is selected and you record a new cue directly after the cue that you recorded with cue only. In that case, the information will track forward.

I agree, this needs some clarification. From what I can tell, It’s as if “Cue Only” cues will track to one another but will not track to standard cues. Which does beg the question, “how would I record multiple cues in a row that do not track with non-zero values?”

1 Like