Q-Blender: Fader Position affects cue values

I have noticed that enabling Q-Blender does not actually stop the fader from fading the entire cue.

For example, say I record two cues, one with a fixture’s intensity at 5% when the fader is between 0 and 50, and a second cue where the fixture’s intensity is at 15% from 50 to 100.

What I expect is that the fixture leaps to 5% as soon the fader position moved up above the deadzone (3%) and stays at 5% all the way to fader position reaches 50%. As the fader position is moved above 50%, the fixture’s intensity climbs to 15% proportional to fader position.

What I actually see is that the fixture starts at 0% as the fader position moved up above the deadzone (3%) and increases slowly to 5% proportional to fader position as the fader position reaches 50%. As the fader position is moved above 50%, the fixture’s intensity climbs more rapidly to 15% proportional to fader position.

It seems like the fader it still multiplying the intensities in a Q-Blender cue. This seems undesirable by design; in a Q-Blender cue, the fader’s position should not have a direct effect on values and only set the fade position between cues.

Is this how Q-Blender is intended to work? Have I set the cue up wrong?

1 Like

I have the same problem / question. Have you already received a solution or answer?

Nope. Never heard back. I still have trouble with my house lights. I want a large area of the fader to be exactly 5%. Thats exactly the right brightness for worship and any lower the lights will just shut off.

If the fader affects brightness, then some hard-to-predict position in the fader range is my minimum brightness and if I go too low I dump the whole auditorium into blackout. I need predictable behavior with manual control. I think i’m just going to have to break down and make it a cue list with different intensities I can transition into.

Hi All,

I believe the behaviour you’re experiencing is as-intended. If you want the entire range from 0-50 to be 5%, try recording two 5% cues; one with a range of 0-1 (that should give you the jump to 5% you’re looking for); and the second with a range of 2-50, so that your fader travel from 1-50 keeps your fixtures at 5%. Your third cue - recorded with the maximum brightness you’re looking to achieve - should have a range of 51-100. Give that a try and see if it provides the intended results :slight_smile:

Hi Rob,

Thanks! That works.

I guess there is a presumed cue 0 in Q-Blender? Putting two cues for 5% intensity gives the desired behavior.